SOME SIGNIFICANT ACHIEVEMENTS
DURING 2 YEARS (2012-13 & 2013-14) OF 12TH PLAN PERIOD :
>> A. Area expansion under Hybrid Rice :
Hybrid Rice cultivation started from 2009-10 with coverage of 0.47 lakh hectare. Area expanded from 0.24 lakh hectare in 2011-12 (1% of Rice area) to 2.03 lakh hectare (8% of Rice area) in 2013-14.
>> B. Introduction of Submergence Tolerant Variety of Paddy :
There are 4.93 lakh hectares of chronically flood prone crop area in the State. A Submergence Tolerant Paddy Variety has been introduced so that the farmers of flood prone areas do not have to incur loss due to damage of Paddy crop due to flood. An area of 20,000 hectares has been brought under the crop during 2013-14.
Also, MoU being signed with IRRI to ensure availability of seeds to cover 100% chronically flood prone area.
>> C. Increase in production & productivity of crops :
>> D. Enhancing Farm Power :
Additional farm power of 0.22 HP per hectare created through distribution of 1267 no. of Tractors, 4134 nos. of Power Tillers, 1552 nos. of Rotary Tillers & 87599 nos. of Pump Sets during 2 years of 12th Plan Period (2012-13 & 2013-14).
>> E. Area expansion under assured irrigation :
Assured irrigation facility of 1.75 lakh hectares (6% of net cropped area) has been created during 2 years of 12th Plan Period (2012-13 & 2013-14) through installation of 87,599 nos. of Pump Sets. Agriculture Department has already installed 208 nos. of Piezometers to monitor the ground water level on real time basis in all plain districts.
>> F. Agriculture Credit facility provided to farmers :
Credit to the tune of Rs. 2437.87 crore provided through issuance of 5.74 lakh Kisan Credit Cards (KCC) benefiting 21% farm families during 2 years of 12th Plan Period (2012-13 & 2013-14). The Department has signed an MoU with Assam Gramin Vikash Bank so that farmer’s share against subsidie provided by the Government are sanctioned as agricultural loan by the bank to farmers.
>> G. Providing crop insurance to farmers :
* Insurance coverage provided to 0.92 lakh hectares of crop area covering 1.20 lakh farmers during 2 year period of 12th Plan.
* Insurance claim of Rs. 310.00 lakh provided benefiting 6543 nos. of farm families.
>> H. Marketing support :
* The Govt. has engaged a State Agency for procurement of Paddy at MSP apart from procurement by FCI.
* Farming community has been mobilized to form 25 no. of Farmer Producer Organisations (FPO) for securing better produce price.
* Tie up has been made for export of Red Bao Paddy to USA and the process has started in 2012-13 on regular basis.
* Rural farm women have been empowered by training and providing mini processing units of Pulses and Oil seeds from which they can earn from their homes.
* Provided 764 nos. of 3 wheelers / 4 wheelers to farmers during 2 years of 12th Plan Period facilitating transportation of their produce for direct marketing.
>> I. Organic Farming :
As an effort to popularize organic farming 30 nos. of farms (50 ha. each) established in 30 LACs in 2012-13, cultivation started. Another 60 farms established in 60 LACs during 2013-14, initial activities started.
>> J. Establishment of Centre of Excellence & V-Type Nursey :
* One Centre of Excellence has been established for technology development in horticulture sector specially vegetable and floriculture along with capacity building of farmers.
* One V-type automated nursery unit has been established at Ulubari, Guwahati for production of 20 lakh quality planting materials per year.
>> K. National recognition to Assam Agriculture :
The continuous thrust given by the Government in the Agriculture Sector has yielded in higher productivity and production of different crops. This encouraging trend achieved by the State has been duly recognized by Government of India. During 2 years of 12th Plan Period the State has been awarded as -
* 2012-13 : Krishi Karman Award for significant increase in production and productivity of pulses.
* 2013-14 : Krishi Karman Award for best performing State in case of production and productivity of pulses.
Some significant achievements of Agriculture sector
during 11th plan period
>> Increases in production during 11th plane period: Rice (73%), Food grains (71%),
and Horticulture Crops (22%) over 10th plan period.
>> Cropping Intensity increase by 7% through Coverage of additional 2.79 Lakh hectares
under double Cropping.
>> GOI has adjudged Assam as the “Best performing State” for its performance in rice
Production in 2009-10 amongst seven Eastern zone states viz. West Bengal, Odisha,
Bihar, Jharkhand, Chhattisgarh, Eastern Uttar Pradesh & Assam.
>> Assam is adjudged as the “Highest Ranked State” by GOI amongst category-II states
for best performance in producing Food grain in 2010-11 and entitled to award of
Rs 2.0 crores. The category II States include odisha, Tamilnadu, Gujarat, Himachal
Pradesh, Jharkhand, Chhattisgarh, Uttarkhand, and Jammu & Kashmir besides Assam.
>> The state was also adjudged by GOI as the “Best State” for rice production in the
country in 2010-11.
>> Assam is awarded with “Most improved Big State” award by the India To-day group on
4th Nov 2011 for its significant achievement in Agriculture sector.
>> World Bank has Complemented Govt of Assam for grand success of World Bank Aided
MAJOR ACHIEVEMENT of RKVY, ASSAM
>>Major Contributions from RKVY in mechanization, irrigation, seeds production
• 69002 Nos. STW installed and 20350nos LLP distributed creating additional irrigation in 192855 hectares approximately
• 4926 nos Power tiller distributed to farmers benefiting 98520 farmers indirectly and 24630 nos directly.
• Strengthening of seeds farm through infrastructure development and taking up seed production program in 17 nos. Govt farm-- resulting 2, 00,000qtl of certified seeds of paddy availability in Sali 2011and 211200 Qtl in Sali 2012.
• Auto Vans/Mini truck (four wheeler/three wheeler) - 801 Nos. were provided to group of farmers for market accessibility.
>>Achievement under RKVY (2008-09 to 2011-12)
• Strengthening of 12 numbers existing Community Canning & Training centre.
• Establishment of 10 numbers post harvest handling & processing unit with the facilities of grading, packaging, waxing & marketing.
• Distribution of 30000 numbers scientific post harvest handling like carton of fruits & vegetable.
• Establishment of 2222 numbers poly houses under protected condition.
• Distribution of 11543 quintals micronutrient.
• Establishment of 156 numbers fruit processing unit.